FAQ:  Questions about LPCC Internship 

Please also see LPCC Internship

What is the supervision requirement for LPCCs?

The LPCC license requires 3,000 hours of post-degree supervised hours over a two-year period.

Do the supervised hours I earned in my graduate education count?

Hours gained pre-degree do not count toward this post-degree requirement.

How do I register as an Intern?

You need to apply to the BBS and submit all of the LPCC education requirements, and if approved, you will receive a registration number and instructions for your internship.  Your supervised hours start counting when you have a registration number.  The exception is that recent graduates can start counting hours before they receive a registration number, if they apply within 90 days of conferral of their degree.  These interns have up to 12 months, from the date of their deficiency letter, to complete deficiencies while they are earning hours. 

Do I need to register as an Intern if I am applying for grandparenting?

No, the grandparenting path has different supervision requirements.  See  Questions About Supervision for Grandparenting

Do I take exams before my internship?

Currently, interns take both the Law & Ethics Exam and the NCMHCE at the completion of their supervised practice.  Effective January 1, 2016, interns will be required to pass the California LPCC Law and Ethics Exam during their first year of internship.  When they have completed their supervised hours, they will apply to take the National Clinical Mental Health Counselor Exam (NCMHCE).  

My husband is a psychologist, can he supervise me?

No, your supervisor may not be a spouse or relative by blood or marriage, nor can it be a person with whom you have had a personal, professional or business relationship that undermines the authority or effectiveness of the supervision.

Can I do my supervised hours in a private practice?

You can earn hours in a private practice setting once you are registered as an Intern with the BBS, but not before.

Can I be an independent contractor as an Intern?

No, you must be an employee or a volunteer.

What will I be called as a LPCC Intern?

You will be a Professional Clinical Counselor Intern (PCCI)

Our Sponsors

American Counseling Association      AATBS        

HPSO Liability Insurance                          

Home | About Us | LPCC | Course Providers | FAQ | Sponsors | Advertise | Membership | Events | Contact Us | Login Instructions

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software