FAQ: Questions About LPCC Applications

Applications for several paths to the LPCC license are available on the website of the Board of Behavioral Sciences.  www.bbs.ca.gov 

Applications must be submitted by post mail.  Do not send additional documents until you have applied, so the BBS will have a folder for you.  The BBS will be unable to respond to email or phone messages before the grandparenting deadline of Dec. 31, 2011.   The BBS advises applicants to submit their applications and it will evaluate them and send a letter of deficiencies. 

How do I know which application to complete?

On the BBS website the applications are divided into two categories:  The Grandparenting Path and the Traditional Path, which has applications for in-state applicants and for out-of-state applicants.  View the Webinar, titled Paths to Licensure, on the CALPCC home page.  Also see  LPCC for information about each path and FAQ for discussion on the differences between the paths.

The Grandparenting Path

The deadline for the grandparenting path was December 31, 2011.


LMFT and LCSW Grandparenting Path (Application 1 A)  for LMFTs and LCSWs who are currently licensed in California. http://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/forms/lpc/lpc_app_gp_mftlcs.pdf

Non-BBS-Licensed Applicants Grandparenting Path (Application 1 B)  for counselors who do not hold a license with the BBS.  This path may be used for counselors who have never been licensed or for licensed counselors in other states, who chose this path rather than the Traditional Path.  http://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/forms/lpc/lpc_app_gp_nonbbs.pdf

The Traditional Path

Traditional Path for In-State Individuals (Application  2 A)


Intern Registration Application is for applicants who have completed all the education requirements for California's LPCC and are applying for a registration number, so they can complete their 3,000 hours of supervised practice over a two-year period.  http://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/forms/lpc/pci_app.pdf

Exam Eligibility Application is for counselors who have completed all the education requirements and gained all supervised experience in California and are ready to take the NCMHCE.  Since LPCC intern registration in California has just become available in 2011, this form will not likely be used until 2013. http://www.bbs.ca.gov/lpcc_program/lpcc_is_traditional_path.shtml

Traditional Path for Out-of-state Individuals (Application 2 B)


Intern Registration Application can be used by out-of-state applicants, who need to register in California to complete their 3,000 hours of supervised experience, or by counselors, who have been licensed in another state for less than two years and need to complete 250 supervised hours in California, as described above. http://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/forms/lpc/pci_app.pdf

Exam Eligibility Application is for counselors licensed in another state for at least two years, or for counselors who have gained any supervised experience in another state.  Those who have no supervised experience,  fewer than 3,000 hours of supervised experience, have 3,000 hours of supervised experience but no out-of-state license, have held a license for less than two years (see other scenarios with the application), must use the Intern Registration Application described above, to remediate their supervision hours before they are ready to use this Exam Eligibility Application.  http://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/forms/lpc/lpc_app_oos.pdf

Why does my university need to verify my coursework on the Degree Program Certification form?  Isn't my transcript sufficient?

The qualifying degree for California's LPCC is defined by the inclusion of a certain number of core counseling areas, rather than by the degree title.  The Board must verify that an applicant has completed graduate work in these 9 core areas, as described in statute.  It is often difficult to tell course content by course titles on a transcript, so the Board is asking the degree-granting institutions to verify the course content.  Since it may take time for a university to complete this form, applicants can submit their application and then send this form in its sealed envelope later, but this form must be received by whatever application deadlines apply to the applicant's path to licensure. 

Why do out-of-state applicants need to submit syllabi for their courses?

While California counseling programs have already submitted their course offerings and syllabi for BBS review, the BBS does not have information on all the out-of-state counseling programs.  The BBS only needs syllabi for the 9 core counseling courses, but they have the right to ask for syllabi for other courses, if needed.  If applicants are unable to secure syllabi from their university, the BBS may be able to accept course descriptions from university catalogs, but this is only a last resort.  Those who with post-2001 degrees from a CACREP-accredited program do not need to submit syllabi, except for the diagnosis course, which was not included in the earlier programs.  The BBS has developed a guide for those who need to submit syllabi:  http://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/forms/lpc/lpc_syllabi_info.pdf

Our Sponsors

American Counseling Association      AATBS        

HPSO Liability Insurance                          

Home | About Us | LPCC | Course Providers | FAQ | Sponsors | Advertise | Membership | Events | Contact Us | Login Instructions

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software